STAR ICVS Long-Term Monitoring
Benefits of Integrated Calibration/Validation
- Turn instrument measurements into accurate environmental parameters.
- Ensure high-quality satellite imagery for forecasts (e.g., hurricane tracking and monitoring).
- Deliver accurate products for weather forecasts and environmental monitoring
- Ensure the integrity of the climate data records from broader satellite instruments.
Satellite observations are intercomparable and tied to international standards for weather, climate, ocean and other environmental applications.
- Provide real-time environmental satellites performance monitoring.
- Reduce the uncertainty in climate trend detection and prediction through vigorous calibration and reprocessing.
- Increase accuracy of satellite data for weather and environmental prediction models.
- Smoothly transition new calibration algorithms to operations.
- Develop common practices for calibration of Earth observation sensors.
- Achieve traceability to the International System of Units (SI)
- Optimize sensor choice and design for achieving these goals.