- > 5th Symposium: Impact of an Ice-Diminishing Arctic on Naval and Maritime Operations
5th Symposium on the Impacts of an
Ice-Diminishing Arctic on Naval and Maritime Operations
July 16-18, 2013
Navy Memorial, Washington, D.C.
- Co-hosted by U.S. National/Naval Ice Center (NIC) and the U.S. Arctic Research Commission (USARC).
- Follow-on series to a 2001 symposium that focused mainly on U. S. naval operations and national strategic issues in an "ice-free Arctic".
- 2007, 2009 and 2011 symposia expanded the discussion to include other nations as to the impacts on other maritime operations such as commercial transportation, oil and gas exploration and exploitation, fisheries, and oceanographic research, in an "ice-diminished Arctic".
- In 2007, VADM Morgan (OPNAV N3/N5) provided remarks on Navy's Maritime Strategy, with additional participation from Senator Murkowski (AK) and (USCG Commandant).
- In 2009, ADM Allen, Dr. Lubchenco (NOAA Administrator), Senator Begich (AK) and RADM Titley were key speakers.
- This symposium will bring together nationally and internationally recognized experts on Arctic observations, climate change, and maritime operations.
- High-level opening remarks are anticipated from NOAA, Navy, USCG, USARC, Canadian Coast Guard, and other U.S. and international government representatives; special invitations to be sent to the Alaska Congressional Delegation and the Canadian and Norwegian Embassies.
- The symposium series addresses the changing state of Arctic sea ice and associated environmental conditions vis-a-vis emerging or expected naval, maritime, and associated activities and operations in the region.
- The 2013 symposium program will be influenced by relevant Arctic-related events since the 2011 symposium, including:
- Record 2012 Arctic sea ice minimum record accentuating the downward trend of Arctic extent, volume, and multi-year ice;
- Completion of Extended Continental Shelf (ECS) cruises in the U.S. and Canadian Arctic;
- Completion of an Arctic Council Arctic Search and Rescue (SAR) Agreement and development of an Arctic Oil Spill Response one;
- Continued development of an IMO Polar Code for vessels operating in polar waters.
- Increase in Arctic oil and gas operations
- The symposium talks will cover three general topic areas:
- Latest research on observed and forecast changes of the Arctic sea ice environment;
- Present and future impact of these changes on Arctic operations;
- Relevant national and international Arctic policy issues and potential need for policy changes.
Please mark your calendars for the 5th Symposium on the Impacts of an Ice-
Diminishing Arctic on Naval and Maritime Operations, co-hosted by the U.S.
National Ice Center (NIC) and the U.S. Arctic Research Commission (USARC),
July 16-18, 2013 at the Navy Memorial Naval Heritage Center, 701
Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC.
2013 Symposium Information