STAR JPSS Website
Latest JSTAR Updates
JPSS Block 2 is going to operational soon. The major algorithm updates for sensor data records (SDRs) include: ATMS Full Radiance Calibration, CrIS Full Spectral Resolution SDR, CrIS Fringe Count Error Correction (FCE) algorithm, VIIRS Geo code fix for Sector rotation flagging. The enterprise EDR algorithms, including VIIRS Aerosol, Clouds, and Cryosphere are also going to be in operation very soon (March-April 2017).
STAR JPSS 2016 Annual Science Team Meeting. From August 8-12, 2016, STAR JPSS successfully held its third Annual Science Team Meeting at NCWCP. Over 350 scientists from NOAA, NASA, Universities, and industries attended the meeting.
VIIRS Global Surface Type (GST) annual update The GST-2015 products can be downloaded from following FTP link:S-NPP_VIIRS_GST_IGBP_2015
JPSS Life-Cycle Data Reprocessing Workshop. The Workshop was held on May 17-18, 2016. Nearly 70 technical staff and associates participated in the workshop directly or remotely via Webex. The theme of the workshop was to "Maximize JPSS data applications through SDR and EDR reprocessing". Summary report, (PDF, 17.4 MB).
JPSS Enterprise Algorithms Workshop From March 30-31, 2016, STAR JPSS Management hosted the JPSS Enterprise Algorithms Workshop. Science teams and corresponding stakeholders met to discuss the current status of Level 2 JPSS products and their progress/plans toward Enterprise Algorithm development. Presentations are available here.
Validated Maturity Review for Green Vegetation Fraction, Vegetation Health, VIIRS Polar Winds, MIRS (Moisture Profile, Temperature Profile, Rainfall Rate, Total Precipitable Water), NUCAPS (IR Ozone Profile & CrIS Outgoing Longwave Radiation), and GCOM AMSR2 Day-1 Products (Sea Surface Temperature, Imagery, Cloud Liquid Water, Precipitation Type/Rate, Total Precipitable Water, Sea Surface Wind Speed) on October 18-19, 2016
Critical Design Review for updates to NDE and Okeanos algorithms for JPSS-1 on October 27, 2016
Message from the Program Manager: Welcome to the new STAR JPSS Monthly Newsletter. September was a busy month for the STAR JPSS Program. STAR OMPS NP V8Pro DAP was delivered to NDE on Sept 30th 2016. STAR ASSIST and land teams completed critical design reviews for surface reflectance, LST & Albedo, Vegetation Indexes algorithms. The surface albedo team supported a LUT update in operation. The aerosol team organized a two-day workshop on September 13-14, 2016 and conducted briefings and interactive hands-on tutorials for science and operational users. STAR SDR/EDR teams also provided extensive independent assessments of the JPSS Block 2.0 testing and the results were reported back to the JPSS program as part of the JPSS-1 Cal Val Readiness.
- STAR JPSS 4th Annual Science Team Meeting, NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP), College Park, MD, August 14-18, 2017
- March-2017: Validated Maturity Review for GCOM AMSR2 Day-2 Products (Sea Ice Characterization, Snow Cover/Depth, Snow-Water Equivalent, and Soil Moisture), and MiRS ATMS Products (Land Surface Emissivity, Land Surface Temperature, Cloud Liquid Water, Sea Ice, Snow, and Snow-Water Equivalent).
- Jun-2017: Validated Maturity Review for NUCAPS Trace Gas Products (Carbon Monoxide (CO), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4)).
- 2017 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Fort Worth, TX, July 23-28, 2017
- SPIE Remote Sensing, Warsaw, Poland, September 11-14, 2017
- 2017 EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference, Rome, Italy, October 2 - 6, 2017
- International TOVS Study Conferences, ITSC-XXI, Darmstadt, Germany, 29 November - 5 December 2017
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2017 Fall Meeting, New Orleans, LA, December 11-15, 2017
- American Meteorological Society's (AMS) 98th Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, January 7-11, 2018