STAR JPSS Website
Latest JSTAR Updates
Solar Eclipse Seen from SNPP - Suomi NPP passed directly over the solar eclipse path of totality as it crossed the southeastern United States, producing interesting and beautiful images via VIIRS, CrIS, and OMPS.
STAR JPSS 2017 Annual Science Team Meeting. 14-18 August 2017, STAR JPSS successfully held its fourth Annual Science Team Meeting at NCWCP. Scientists from NOAA, NASA, Universities, and industries attended the meeting. (slides to be posted soon)
VIIRS Global Surface Type (GST) annual update The GST-2016 products (spatial resolution: 1km) can be downloaded from following FTP links:GST-2016: sinusoidal projection
GST-2016: lat/lon projection
Validated Maturity Review for GCOM AMSR2 Day-2 Products (Sea Ice Characterization, Snow Cover/Depth, Snow-Water Equivalent, Soil Moisture), and MIRS Products (Land Surface Emissivity, Land Surface Temperature, Cloud Liquid Water, Sea Ice Concentration, Snow Cover/Depth, Snow-Water Equivalent) on April 20, 2017
JPSS Block 2 has been on operational since Marth 8, 2017. The major algorithm updates for sensor data records (SDRs) include: ATMS Full Radiance Calibration, (PDF, 686 KB), CrIS Full Spectral Resolution SDR, CrIS Fringe Count Error Correction (FCE) algorithm, VIIRS Geo code fix for Sector rotation flagging. VIIRS Aerosol, Clouds, and Cryosphere enterprise algorithms are operational since July 5, 2017. OMPS Ozone V8Pro, V8TOz/LFSO2 EDRs will be in operation soon (Sep/Oct 2017).
STAR JPSS 2016 Annual Science Team Meeting. From August 8-12, 2016, STAR JPSS successfully held its third Annual Science Team Meeting at NCWCP. Over 350 scientists from NOAA, NASA, Universities, and industries attended the meeting.
NOAA-JPSS CPO Technical Interchange Meetings (TIM)
were held on 11/18/2016; 1/30/2017; 3/29/2017; 6/6/2017
Enhance Science Outreach; Collaboration; Ensure the products developments are consistent with Users' needs and priorities.
Announcement of Release of CPO FY18 FFO
JPSS Life-Cycle Data Reprocessing Workshop. The Workshop was held on May 17-18, 2016. Nearly 70 technical staff and associates participated in the workshop directly or remotely via Webex. The theme of the workshop was to "Maximize JPSS data applications through SDR and EDR reprocessing". Summary Report, (PDF, 17.4 MB).
JPSS Enterprise Algorithms Workshop From March 30-31, 2016, STAR JPSS Management hosted the JPSS Enterprise Algorithms Workshop. Science teams and corresponding stakeholders met to discuss the current status of Level 2 JPSS products and their progress/plans toward Enterprise Algorithm development. Meeting Report, (PDF, 197 KB).
Message from the Program Manager: August was a very eventful month for STAR JPSS. The program held a successful STAR JPSS Annual Meeting, allowing team members to come together for important face to face meetings reviewing the progress and planning for the future of the program. Team members also participated in the SPIE OC+D conference and CALCON. In late August the teams were able to showcase Suomi NPP data by mapping the effects of the Great American Eclipse and the torrential rainfall in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.
- 2017 NOAA Satellite Aerosol Product Workshop,
September 25-26, 2017
NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Court
College Park, MD 20740-3823
- Validated Maturity Review: NUCAPS Trace Gas Products (Carbon Monoxide (CO), Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4))
- Unit Test Readiness Review: Enterprise Land Surface Albedo & Temperature algorithms (LSA and LST)
- Algorithm Readiness Review: NDE Vegetation Product System (NVPS), LSA, and LST
- SPIE Remote Sensing, Warsaw, Poland, September 11-14, 2017
- 2017 EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference, Rome, Italy, October 2 - 6, 2017
- The 8th Asia/Oceania Meteorological Satellite Users' Conference (AOMSUC-8), Vladivostok city, Russia, October 16-21, 2017
- International TOVS Study Conferences, ITSC-XXI, Darmstadt, Germany, 29 November - 5 December 2017
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) 2017 Fall Meeting, New Orleans, LA, December 11-15, 2017
- American Meteorological Society's (AMS) 98th Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, January 7-11, 2018
- 2018 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), Valencia, Spain, July 23-27, 2018