- If you do not already have Python running on your computer, follow these instructions to install Anaconda.
- The training exercises will use 3 Python packages that are not part of the standard Anaconda installation, so they have to be installed manually:
If you would like to run the Python code files for the hands-on exercises on your own computer, please complete the steps below.
Anaconda is an open source software programming platform; it is free for individual users. Anaconda comes bundled with the latest stable version of Python (version 3.9) and the most widely used packages. Note that the program will use approximately 600 MB of space on your computer.
If you already have Anaconda installed on your computer, and it is running Python version 3.8 or earlier, please download and install the current version of Anaconda (Python version 3.9).
It is important that you follow the directions below to install the specified versions of these 3 packages; the code used in the trainings was written with these package versions. They are recent versions but are NOT the current (most up-to-date) versions available. Python is a very dynamic language, so packages update often.
If you already have these packages installed, please check that they are the recommended version number.
Instructions to Install Packages:
Windows users: go to Start → Anaconda3 → Anaconda Powershell Prompt
Mac/Linux users: open the terminal
Type (or copy and paste) the following commands into the terminal window one at a time and hit Enter:
conda install netCDF4=1.5.7
conda install -c conda-forge cartopy=0.18.0
pip install s3fs==2022.5.0
After you type the install command and hit Enter, the terminal should begin preparing to install the package. You will be asked whether you want to proceed:
Type the letter "y" and press Enter, and the package should begin downloading.
NOTE: You may see an error message when installing "s3fs" related to the dependences for the package "botocore". You can ignore this message; it won't affect the code we use in the training session.
Existing users only (who already have Anaconda installed): Depending on the version of Python you have installed, you may need to update the following package:
- Matplotlib version 3.5.1
To update Matplotlib, follow the instructions above to open the Anaconda Powershell Prompt or terminal window and type the following (or copy and paste) and then hit Enter:
conda install matplotlib=3.5.1
When asked if you want to proceed, type the letter "y" and press Enter, and the matplotlib package should begin downloading.
The .zip file contains:
- 5 .ipynb files (Jupyter Notebook formatted Python files)
- 1 .py file ("regular" Python file)
- Launch Jupyter Notebook on your computer
- Make a new folder in Jupyter Notebook and upload to it the provided Python code files
- Check that the additional packages installed in Step 2 were installed properly, and check that installed package versions match the recommendations listed in Step 2 (including Matplotlib)
Power Point slides from the training course:
- Available after course concludes!
BACKUP: 6 GOES-16 ABI AOD full disk sector data files, used in Python hands-on exercises: